Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission  
Fish and Wildlife Conservation CommissionFlorida Marine Research Institute
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission HomeContactSite MapSite Search
Permits Menu
Permits Home
Contact Information
Permit Applications
Policies & Guidelines

Bird Nest Removal
Non-resident Raptor
Standard Gopher Tortoise Relocation
Special Gopher Tortoise Relocation
Scientific/Educational Collecting
Avitrol Use


Get Acrobat Reader

Permit Applications

Osprey and other Migratory Bird Species

Florida ospreys (Pandion haliaetus) commonly nest on power poles or other man-made structures, and these nests sometimes render the structure inoperable. The general condition of these permits is that the nest may be removed and a replacement nesting structure of comparable or better quality than the compromised nest support structure must be erected. The Osprey Nest Removal Policies provides nest removal requirements for such permits. Other migratory bird species occasionally nest on man-made structures thereby causing the same conflict as osprey nests.


We issue Non-resident Raptor Take permits to non-Florida resident Falconers. Falconers must possess a falconry license from their home state as well as a federal falconry license from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

Florida residents seeking to become a licensed falconer should contact the Commission's Division of Law Enforcement at:
(850) 488-6253.

Florida Burrowing Owls

Burrowing owls often nest on vacant lots in rapidly developing suburban areas and may respond to disturbed soil conditions associated with early construction activities. Home construction subsequently is a major cause of burrow destruction, in these areas. The Commission's policy is to issue permits to allow destruction of burrowing owl nest burrows only as a last resort and after all reasonable alternatives (such as realigning development to avoid the nest) have been considered and determined impractical. Please review Burrowing Owl Nest Protection Guidelines and Procedures in Urban Areas for nest removal requirements for a permit.

Gopher Tortoise Relocation

Five Options available to Address the Presence of Tortoises on Lands Slated for Development are: avoid development, avoid destruction of tortoise burrows, mitigate for incidental take of tortoises, relocate tortoises on-site or relocate them off-site. Relocation and incidental take both require permits from the Commission.

Two types of tortoise relocation permits may be issued by the Division of Wildlife's Bureau of Wildlife Diversity Conservation. The standard tortoise relocation permit is available for development projects which require the relocation of more than five tortoises on-site or relocation of any number of tortoises off-site. Off-site relocation of tortoises requires testing of tortoises for Upper Respiratory Tract Disease (URTD). The special tortoise relocation permit is available for projects (usually single residential construction) which require the relocation of five or fewer tortoises on-site. Applications for standard relocation permits are submitted to the Protected Species Permit Coordinator. Applications for special relocation permits are submitted to a Regional Contact Person.

Incidental take permits

Incidental take permits are issued for activities that may entomb or kill tortoises and mitigate for the taking by providing a degree of habitat protection similar to that provided by DRI developers, as outlined in the Commissions Gopher Tortoise Habitat Protection Guidelines [Nongame Technical Report No. 4.] The Commission's Office of Environmental Services (OES) handles issuance of all incidental take permits.

Scientific/Educational collecting

Scientific/educational collecting permits are issued for activities which include salvage, voucher, bird banding, wildlife possession and special purpose (specific projects which require any combination of the methods of scientific collecting). Applications must demonstrate scientific/educational benefits that will be accrued for the subject species as well as identify the purpose, scope, objective, methodology, location and duration of the project.

Avitrol Use

Avitrol use permits are issued to licensed Pest Control Operators for control of non-listed Bird species, primarily pigeons, which aggregate in a manner to become a nuisance and/or pose health risks to human populations.


Regional wildlife diversity conservation biologists (Regionals) are available to provide technical assistance on assorted listed non-marine wildlife issues. You should contact the Regional for your area to discuss wildlife scientific collecting, relocation, ecology development, and nuisance issues. Some situations involve both technical assistance and permitting. We ask that you contact the Protected Species Office regarding issuance of required permits, early on, while seeking technical assistance through the Regional office.

Main | Contact Info | Policies & Guidelines